Learning Design and Education for Sustainable Development BOOTCAMP
What is the Learning Design and ESD Bootcamp about?
The Learning Design and ESD Bootcamp 2022 is part of the Learning Design Bootcamp that started in 2019. The Learning Design and ESD Bootcamp in 2022 will focus not only on supporting university teams in curriculum design for online and blended learning delivery but also in guiding and supporting the teams selected in the design and implementation of ESD in their curriculums supported by the CoDesignS ESD Toolkit.
“2020 was the equal hottest year on record. One million species are at risk of extinction. We use more resources than the planet can generate each year – if we continue to live the way we do today, we will need three earths by 2050. The way we currently live is not sustainable. Urgent change is needed, but lasting change is impossible without education.”UNESCO (2021), Learn for our planet report.
The Learning Design Bootcamp Committee aims to provide knowledge, motivation and advice on the learning design principles required to embed ESD in curriculum design. The Learning Design and ESD Bootcamp will bring together experts and mentors in the three pillars identified in the CoDesignS ESD Toolkit:
- Key Competencies for Sustainability that are relevant to all SDGs (UNESCO, 2017) and have been classified under: Ways of Thinking, Ways of Practicing and Ways of Being in the recent ESD guidelines published by the QAA and Advance HE (2021).
- Specific Learning Objectives for the SDGs targeting the cognitive, socio-emotional and cognitive domains to engage students in a transformative educational experience (Sipos et al., 2008; Cotton & Winter, 2010).
- Transformative Pedagogies and Teaching Methods delivered online or in a blended learning fashion that support participation and collaboration, problem-orientation, inter and transdisciplinarity and the linking of formal and informal learning (UNESCO, 2017).
When will the Learning Design & ESD Bootcamp Call be launched?
The Learning Design and ESD Bootcamp Call will be launched in October 2021. The Bootcamp will be open to English and Spanish speakers from any educational institutions around the world. AUS will co-host the Learning Design and ESD Bootcamp in English with The Open University and Anglia Ruskin University in 2022 in parallel with UNESCO IESALC hosting the Bootcamp in Spanish.
The Bootcamp will start in March 2022.
Call for Mentors
We’re looking for Mentors with experience in Learning Design and/or Education for Sustainable Development. Learn more about the role of the Bootcamp Mentors and the expected time commitments.
We look forward to hearing from you. Please get in touch by completing the CoDesignS Education for Sustainable Development – Expression of Interest Form! Deadline now extended to Monday 4th Ocotber 2021.
What were the previous Learning Design Bootcamps about?
The Learning Design Bootcamps in 2019, 2020 and 2021 provided an intensive four months programme for Learning Technologists, curriculum designers and academics engaging in the design and development of a 15 or 30 credit module of their choice in different Higher Education institutions.
The teams were supported on-the- job by mentors and coaches in the design and development of their module following the CoDesigns Learning Design Framework.
At the end of the Bootcamp, the teams attended a final day in which they presented their final designs, as well as the final module developed in their university’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) or the VLE provided by our sponsors.
Eleven teams were selected in 2021 from the UK, Ireland, Iceland and the United Arab Emirates:
- Bloomsbury Institute London
- The University of Warwick
- University of Wolverhampton
- Regent’s University London
- Newcastle University
- University of East London
- Reykjavik University
- The National University of Ireland Galway
- Letterkenny Institute of Technology
- American University of Sharjah
- Mohammed Bin Rashid University Of Medicine and Health Sciences – Dubai
Six teams were selected in 2020 from the following universities:
- University College London
- University of Exeter
- St George’s, University of London
- Aberystwyth University
- Keele University and
- University of Surrey
Four teams were selected in 2019 from the following universities:
- The University of Warwick
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- University East London
- Solent University
Find out below how you can use the Toolkit and join us!
CoDesignS ESD is proudly supported by
© 2021 CoDesignS ESD
CoDesignS ESD Website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.