What is the CoDesignS ESD Framework about?
The CoDesignS ESD Framework provides an easy to implement pedagogic method for embedding Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) in the curriculum using a co-design and co-creation approach. The CoDesignS ESD Toolkit is based on UNESCO’s key competencies for sustainability (UNESCO, 2017), the recent ESD guidelines published in the UK by QAA and Advance HE (2021) and the original CoDesignS framework (Toro-Troconis et al., 2019; Lewis, 2020).
The three pillars identified in the CoDesignS ESD Framework are presented in this video:
- Key Competencies for Sustainability that are relevant to all SDGs (UNESCO, 2017) and have been classified under: Ways of Thinking, Ways of Practicing and Ways of Being in the recent ESD guidelines published by the QAA and Advance HE (2021).
- Specific Learning Objectives for the SDGs targeting the cognitive, socio-emotional and cognitive domains to engage students in a transformative educational experience (Sipos et al., 2008; Cotton & Winter, 2010).
- Transformative Pedagogies and Teaching Methods delivered online or in a blended learning fashion that support participation and collaboration, problem-orientation, inter and transdisciplinarity and the linking of formal and informal learning (UNESCO, 2017).
How can I access the CoDesignS ESD Toolkit?
In the video below, the six steps of the CodesignS EDS framework and the CoDesignS ESD cases are presented:
The CoDesignS ESD Framework is made up of:
- The CodesignS EDS Toolkit with its six (6) steps. Download here the CodesignS EDS Toolkit [PDF]
- CoDesignS ESD Toolkit Cases with different cases associated with the application of the CodesignS EDS Toolkit:
Download – CodesignS EDS Cases from the American University of Sharjah [PDF]
Download – CodesignS EDS Cases from the University of Glasgow [PDF]
Download – CodesignS EDS Cases from Anglia Ruskin University [PDF]
- The CodesignS EDS Toolkit Planner with its Dashboard providing different visualisations to guide the curriculum design process [available to download soon]
Copyright – CoDesignS ESD
The CodesignS EDS framework and all the documents related to its application are available under the Creative Common license BY-NC-ND 4.0.
How can I get involved?
There are different ways of collaborating with us: you could help us translate the CodesignS EDS tool or participate in our Learning Design and ESD Bootcamp as an evaluator, guest speaker, Bootcamp mentor or committee member. Please contact us and let us know in what capacity you would like to contribute and collaborate with us.
CoDesignS ESD is proudly supported by
© 2021 CoDesignS ESD
CoDesignS ESD Website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial – Noderivatives 4.0 International License.